Monday, March 06, 2006

Capturing the Co-ed

I've been nostalgic lately, mostly of the college years. Not that all my memories are good - and I certainly don't want to go back to that time - I'm mostly just remembering little bits of this and that. It made me want to look back at some pictures from that time.

Now it may shock you to know that I still have those pictures in (gasp!) magnetic albums. I have the last 10 years in photo-safe albums, but nothing prior to that. So looking at that album today reminded me (and reinforced, since the pages are all yellow) that I need to do something with these pictures.

I'm actually glad I waited, because sometimes I think time needs to pass before you know what to do with some pictures. I know now what is important to keep, pictures sufficient enough to remind me of the important aspects of my college experience; sorority events, dorm life, road trips and friendships (interestingly enough, I don't have any pictures of classes, professors or studying. Hmmmmm.....) There are some things I don't care to remember and guess what, I don't have to include those things in an album! If pictures harbor painful memories and don't affect the overall experience (in this case, my college life), then I certainly can give myself permission to exclude them.

My goal with a college album is to get them out of the hazardous environment and into a photo-safe album, and to go through and pick out the ones that best define my experience at school.

I just HAD to include a "picture of the week" that shows me during that era - check out the early 90's hair and the pudgy face. Ugh. Here is me and my dear college friend Jen at a popular annual fraternity party.


Okay, to redeem ourselves, here is a picture of us from this past New Year's Eve, 16 years later. I think we're getting better with age (at least our hair is). Notice what I'm holding in BOTH pictures, well, at least I've "classed-up" and am drinking champagne in 2006 instead of... whatever was on tap in 1990.
.

1 Comments:

Blogger LiteraryGirl said...

Love the pictures!

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home